Planet Labs Imagery
U-Spatial manages the University of Minnesota subscription to Planet.com's daily PlanetScope imagery, SkySat archive (6 months and older) and automated monthly and quarterly composite basemaps and tile-services. This service provides daily 4- and 8-band high-resolution (3m) PlanetScope imagery for the entire globe, and new this year, SkySat high-resolution scenes 6 months and older. This imagery service is available to all UMN students, faculty, and staff for their research and coursework.
Submit this form to request access to Planet.com: Planet.com Access Request Form.
Authorized User Terms of Service
Access to the Planet API is subject to the Master Content License Agreement between Planet Labs Inc. and the University of Minnesota. Please review the University of Minnesota Authorized User Terms of Service, UMN Planet Agreement and agriculture segment terms.
The UMN Planet contract has negotiated the following for use of these data resources. Please read to inform your use of the Planet imagery products:
- Basemap services are un-metered and do not count against the quota limit.
- Downloaded scenes from the PlanetScope Daily Imagery archive may be redistributed, internal to UMN affiliates, in perpetuity.
- Downloaded scenes from the PlanetScope Daily Imagery archive may be retained on UMN computing infrastructure, in perpetuity, in support of peer-review publication and other products of research. Access to these data products may only be provided within the UMN IP.
- Downloaded scenes from the SkySat Imagery archive may be redistributed, internal to UMN affiliates, in perpetuity.
Planet Resources and User Guides
About Planet Products
Training: Planet School
User Guides: Developer Resource Guide
A primer to getting started with Planet on MSI systems: MSI Planet on GitHub
Desktop software Add-ins:
- ArcGIS Pro 2.x Download here and user guide here
- ArcGIS Pro 3.x Download here
- QGIS Download and user guide here
Planet Webinar (November 4, 2022)
Introducing Planet Labs Imagery and the UMN Subscription
This webinar starts with an introduction to Planet, examples of use, and then moves into an interactive demo of Planet Explorer and Planet APIs.